So you want a web page, Where do you start? Here are 3 easy steps to get you started.
- Try to get a .Com domain. If a .Com domain isn’t available the next best is a .Net or .Org. We recommend staying away from the others.
- Don’t put dashes in your domain name like Visit-My-Race-Team.Com. If you really want to, only use one dash. Just think about how you would tell people about your website. Will they remember the dashes or forget to type them.
- Long domain names are okay. The short ones can be hard to remember. JayHallRacing.Com might be easier to remember than JHRacing.com.
- We use Godaddy.com for our domain name registrations ( Get the domain you really want with Domain Buy Service from from GoDaddy.com! ) – Don’t forget to do the auto renew! Again if you buy from us we will take care of all of this for you.
Step 2 – Find a good hosting company – Our hosting partners provide great servers, at a reasonable cost and with good service.
- Make sure the company has good support.
- Don’t use the free blogging sites. If you have a very very limited budget it might be okay to test the waters. Be prepared to lose all the work you put into a free site.
- For 90% of you, you can find a good hosting company for around $15 month. If you go with us, we can host your site and take care of it.
- Make sure you hosting company supports WordPress. We recommend that everyone build their sites with WordPress. If you host with us, we will install WordPress for you and help you learn how to use it.
- If you don’t go with us we recommend these hosing companies – BlueHost or HostGator Looking for Web Hosting With Quality Support? 24/7 Support Via Phone, Live Chat, and Email!
Step 3 – Build you site with WordPress – Once you have your domain name and hosting; you can quickly setup your site with WordPress. We recommend that you look at the many free and premium templates available for WordPress. Find one that closely matches what you want your site to look like. Don’t worry… if you don’t like it templates are easy to change.
- Find a template that you like ( Here is a link to templates we think you might like)
- Free templates are good but the premium templates can really set your site apart and make it more unique. If you are just starting out, I would stick to a free template.
- Write down what you want to say on your website (yes on paper). You can save yourself a lot of time pre-planing what you want your site to look like.
- Don’t build too many pages. It is best if you stay under 5 pages. Most sites could just have four (Home with news blog, bio, schedule, photos and media)
- Check out our lessons (coming soon link here) on how to build your WordPress site or just have us do it. We do this all the time, so we can get this all jump started for you.